Bailey Pageant CD Loire
 

Damp Door and Delamination 2

 

After treatment
This is how it looks after the hardener has done it's work. Next, tackle the delamination.

 

Delam kit
Kit for injecting epoxy resin into the voids below the floor.

Ready to start
Ready to start, holes drilled at 200mm centres through top ply over affected area then vacuumed.

Underfloor support
Supported the floor underneath against sagging,using a piece of plywood and a jack.

 

Completed
After injecting the epoxy the floor is now solid (See below, for a fuller detail of how it was done)

Seal suspect
The damage had happened over a long time. Suspected the top of the door seal.

Small crack
Sure enough, small cracks in the sealant above the door.

Trim removal
Plastic insert removed to gain access to the screws.

Another crack
Cracked on this side too.

Taking out screws
All screws removed at the top down as far as the hinge, sealant scraped out, took a while.

Sealed down to hinge
Sealant applied, used Sikaflex 512 Caravan. Then put screws back in.

Top view
Top view, next job to fit new plastic trim.

New trim
Started at the bottom, found it best to put the inside edge in the groove and used a plastic scraper to ease in the other side.

Bottom detail
Decided to finish off the bottom, as shown.

Finished
Completed job, may take the whole door out in the future to re-seal, but there are more pressing jobs to do.

 

Using the Delamination Kit

Used a Jack to support the floor, found a piece of ply that fitted under the main part of the repair and the caravan chassis member and just took the jack up until it gently pressed the floor, did this in case the floor wanted to sag. Sorry, no photos using the kit, the reason is that once you start working with the resin, itís a case of donít stop until its finished. Using the kit was straight forward enough, mixed small pot into the big pot and I used an old wooden spoon to mix. I put some latex gloves on and using the syringe full of resin methodically worked from one side of the floor to the other, as the resin came out of a hole next to the one I was injecting it into, it was a case of pluging the hole ( provided in the kit were black plastic plugs) you are injecting into then move to the one itís just started to come out of. Have plenty of rags handy because as you take the syringe out of the hole the resin wants to come out of it!

After completing I was left with one full syringe of resin (see photo below), I left it in there to see how it went off (as I did it a few days before Christmas and was not going back for a while) I then placed a polythene sheet over the area then on top of that a piece of 19mm plywood and on top of that two gas cylinders and the spare tyre. I left it 4 days before returning and the resin in the syringe was rock hard, after taking the polythene sheet off there were a few ridges, but they were easily removed with a belt sander, floor feels solid now. I will be fitting a new carpet in due course.

 Delamination resin
Delamination resin taken from the syringe.

Some costings: Delamination kit approx £25-£30 from O'Learys, plastic trim for door 45 pence per metre from Barrons (now Discover), wet rot and wood hardener £7-£8 from B&Q (if memory serves)

Update 15th January 2009  The floor is still solid, so it seems like a permanent solution.

Update 27th January 2010  Still good!

Update 21st August 2011  Another year, it's good.

Back to Page 1 - Damp and delamination

 

Page Created 27th June 2007/Updated 2nd October 2011

 

  Copyright © Bailey94. All rights reserved.
This website was built by Ewisoft Website Builder.